Why am I taking a English 101 class? But, seriously, I am asking why I am taking a English 101 class. Partially I am taking this class due to the simple fact that NEIU is putting me in it and telling me i have to take it before moving up and beyond the 101 spectrum. However I wonder why I am in this class due to the fact I was in AP English for 2 years. After taking those classes I never would have thought that I would of ended up in a 101. However I look at my class load and I thought that maybe this class would be good for me. In upper levels many teachers normally expect very highly of those students. So when a basic concept was mentioned and in my head I was baffled I was to embarrassed to ask what it was. (Oh, silly highschool). So honestly I thought that to become on even better writer and reader maybe I should get back to the roots of English instead of attempting to perplex myself with AP essays and novel upon novel to read.
As well as hoping to be a better writer and reader when I finish this course I also wanted something else. A simple college experiance type class that wasn't trying to hold my hand all day and let me do my own thing. I expect this class to teach me responsibility in the way that I personally think I am good at English and that I have done quite well up until this point. So, taking a 101 English class made me think at first "Damn, I'm gonna skip this class so often. I will miss stuff but I can catch up easily." Now after the first day in class I expect myself at every class and to do every assignment. I want to not only prove to myself and others that I can do this, on my own, but also as a adult. I hope to get a bigger sense of maturity once I have finished this course and move on with my collegiate carreer. If I can accomplish that along with passing the class with a grade I am pleased with, I think I will have done just fine.
No comments:
Post a Comment